Pain is a highly prevalent condition. The Institute of Medicine estimates that over 100 million US adults suffer from chronic pain due to medical conditions such as arthritis and back pain. Many physicians routinely prescribe opioids as a means of masking orthopedic pain and postoperatively controlling pain, and use of opioids for pain control is most common among orthopedic patients.
Opioid misuse and addiction have been labeled a public health emergency. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that the total economic burden of prescription opioid abuse alone in the United States is $78.5 billion a year. The primary cost burden of this crisis is falling on employers in the form of lost productivity, addiction treatment, absenteeism, possible death from overdose, disability costs, workers’ compensation claims, and the treatment expense for the original medical claim that led to an opioid prescription.
The primary benefits of adding Regenexx treatments are offering your employees a choice in healthcare and in turn you, the employer, have a reduction in healthcare expenses due to averting unnecessary surgery. A natural result of this is that you are preventing the opportunity for opioid addiction, overdose, and even potential death.
A new study found that even a five-day prescription increased the probability of continued opioid use by 10% and a six-day prescription, just one extra day, increased that probability to 12%. Giving a patient a 30-day initial prescription increased that addiction percentage to 45%.
Regenexx Facts on Pain Management
- More than 80% of all Regenexx procedures need NO opioid prescription.
- The remaining 20% of pain medications are prescribed for 2 days or less.
- Patients typically walk out of their non-invasive procedure with no more than Tylenol (which is not an NSAID).
- Recovery time is reduced by 60%. Employees are back to work in days, not weeks.
- Over 90% of Regenexx corporate patients have completely avoided orthopedic surgery.
Promoting Your Employee’s Well-being through the Nation’s Leader in Regenerative Medicine
Opioid Specific Articles From Regenexx®
- Opioids may be no better than Tylenol at Relieving Pain
- Opioids taken before knee replacement have also been shown to cause more pain after surgery
- Opioid use can actually amplify chronic pain and disrupt pain signals
- There’s a 20% chance of addiction to opioids can after just one 10-day opioid prescription